Starting your trip right takes some preparation.
Here are a few tips to get you on the right track before you embark on your vacation.
- Take some of the local currency for taxis, tipping, buses, and telephones. To avoid spending time in line upon arrival, take a suitable amount of foreign cash before you leave, usually $300-$500 Canadian value.
- Familiarize yourself with the various denominations of your foreign currency prior to leaving. Have a good understanding of value between foreign currency and Canadian equivalent.
- Always make use of safety deposit boxes in hotels to safeguard your currency and values.
- Travel insurance is very important. Ensure you have comprehensive coverage including medical, baggage, return flight and missed connections. Not very often will a credit card cover all of the above. Air ambulance and hospital stays require upfront payments and could cost you thousands of dollars.
- Leave your contact information with photocopies of your passport and credit cards you take on your trip with a friend or member of the family. In the event of an emergency, loss or theft at the destination are accessible and your vital information is obtainable and protected.